• OS Book Index
  • Hastingleigh.com             A Genealogy Website /One Place Study                                                                                                           Contact e-mail            


    Ordnance Survey - Name Books for Kent Parishes 
    This list is for place names on OS Map Kent No.55 North East, 25 Inch Scale
    (including parts of Chilham, Crundale, Godmersham and Wye)
    This Name Book was first compiled in 1906.


    INDEX for this Volume

    NAME

    PAGE

    .

    NAME

    PAGE

    Bilting  

    12

    Kings Wood  

    3

    Bilting Farm  

    12

    Little Winchcombe  

    15

    Bilting House  

    11

    Olantigh Park  

    10

    Bilting Plantation  

    10

    Oxen Lees Wood  

    16

    Black Brooks Wood  

    5

    Popestreet Farm  

    6

    Black Edge Wood  

    16

    Purr Wood  

    14

    Blue Downs  

    7

    Rectory  

    16

    Brick Kiln Wood  

    14

    Ripple Farm  

    14

    Brooks Wood  

    5

    Roman and Saxon Remains found A.D.1757  

    11

    Chilham Park  

    3

    School  

    7

    Church Plantation  

    9

    School  

    16

    Church Wood  

    13

    Seaton's Wood  

    15

    Coombe Wood  

    15

    S.E.& C.R
    [South East and Chatham Railway]
    Ashford, Canterbury & Ramsgate Branch  

    12

    Coneyearth Wood  

    7

    Soakham Downs  

    7

    Crundale  

    15

    Square Wood  

    6

    Crundale Downs  

    13

    St. Lawrence's Church (Vicarage)  

    9

    Cutlers Wood  

    1

    Stump Shave  

    6

    Deer Park  

    3

    Supposed Pilgrims' Road  

    12

    Down Wood  

    6

    Temple Hill  

    6

    East Stour Farm  

    5

    The Grange  

    11

    Egginge Wood  

    14

    The Wilderness  

    4

    Godmersham  

    4

    Thornham Shaw  

    13

    Godmersham Common  

    7

    Trimworth Manor  

    10

    Godmersham Court  

    4

    Tye Wood  

    11

    Godmersham Downs  

    9

    Upper Chilmans Downs  

    5

    Godmersham Park  

    4

    Vicarage  

    4

    Godmersham Park (Deer Park)  

    3

    Vinery's Wood  

    13

    Great Eggerton Farm  

    14

    Warren Wood  

    16

    Great Stour  

    9

    Winchcombe Farm  

    15

    Hall Cottages  

    13

    Wintergates Wood  

    6

    Hurst Farm  

    5

    .  

    .





    NOTE: 1 chain =
         20.12 metres in length
    or 66 feet in length
    or 22 yards in length

    10 chains is a furlong, 80 chains is a mile,
    One acre is 10 chains x 10 chains.

    This Map "Kent No.55 N.E." was published in 1908 by the Ordnance Survey and a copy of it can be seen on the following external website link for the National Library of Scotland:

    [CLICK  HERE]




    Name Collected, entered & initialled in Red by J.I. Buckland Lance Corporal Royal Engineers in August 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/Plan/Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    1

    Cutlers Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Cutlers Wood

    Mr W. Butt, Steward, Chilham Castle

    LV/3/1

    Applies to a wood situated on the north side of King's Wood. The property of Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle. [Charles Stewart Hardy]



    Names collected and entered by R. Sanderson T.C.A. In July 1906
    Names etc as altered & intialled in red by J.I. Buckland Lance Corporal Royal Engineers in August 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/Plan/Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    3

    King's Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    King's Wood

    Henry B. Parsons, agent
    Mr E. Lawson, agent Godmersham

    LV/3/1,2,4

    A large wood between Godmersham Park & Eastwell Park principally the property of E.C. Lister Kay & Lord Gerard

    3

    Chilham Park
    [In Italic Capitals font]

    Chilham Park

    Mr W. Butt, Steward, Chilham Castle

    LV/3/3

    A park in the parish of Chilham a short distance south of the village the property of Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle

    3

    Deer Park

    Deer Park

    Mr W. Butt, Steward, Chilham Castle

    LV/3/3

    A deer park in Chilham Park. Owner Colonel Hardy

    3

    Godmersham Park
    (Deer Park)
    [In Italic Captials]

    Godmersham Park
    (Deer Park)

    Mr E. Lawson, agent (and school master), Godmersham

    LV/3/2,3,4,5,6

    A park in the parish of Godmersham on the west side of the village, the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park, Canterbury. Applies to the above park which is also used as a Deer Park.

    .

    4

    Godmersham Park

    Godmersham Park

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/5/6

    A large residence situated in the north west corner of Godmersam Village. Owner & occupier E.C. Lister Kay Esq.

    4

    The Wilderness
    [In Roman Print font]

    The Wilderness

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/5/6

    A wood on the south of the above residence. Owner E.C. Lister Kay

    4

    Godmersham Court

    Godmersham Court

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/5/6

    A modern Farm house on the north side of Godmersham church, owner E.C. Lister Kay

    4

    Godmersham
    [In Roman Print font]

    Godmersham

    Rev. Lewis J. Elwin Vicar
    Mr E. Lawson agent Godmersham

    LV/5/6

    A parish village on the main road between Canterbury & Ashford comprising a church, a school, farm house cottages etc., principal owner E.C. Lister Kay

    4

    Vicarage

    Vicarage

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/5/6

    The official residence of the vicar of Godmersham 15 chains north of the church

    .

    5

    Hurst Farm

    Hurst Farm

    Mr W. Butt, Steward, Chilham Castle

    LV/4/1

    A farm house and outbuildings situate about ¼ mile south east of Chilham Park the property of Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle

    5

    Upper Chilmans Downs
    [In Roman Print font]

    Upper Chilmans Downs

    Mr W. Butt, Steward, Chilham Castle

    LV/4/1

    A wood situated 25 chains North East by East of Hurst Farm. Owner Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle
    Note: No apostrophe used

    5

    Brooks Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Brooks Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/1

    A wood 1 mile North East of Godmersham church the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    5

    Black Brooks Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Black Brooks Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/2

    A wood at the North East corner of Brooks Wood. Owner Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle,
    Note: No apostrophe used

    5

    East Stour Farm

    East Stour
    change of name
    Eaststour Farm
    Obsolete

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/2

    A farm house and outbuildings situated 105 chains North East of Godmersham church. Owner Colonel Hardy, Chilham Castle.

    .

    6

    Popestreet Farm

    Popestreet Farm

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/2

    A farm house and outbuildings situate 88 chains North East of Godmersham church the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    6

    Wintergates Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Wintergates Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/2,3

    A wood 30 chains North East of Popestreet Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    6

    Down Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Down Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/3

    A wood situated 55 chains North East of Popestreet Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    6

    Stump Shave
    [In Roman Print font]

    Stump Shave

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/3

    A wood 70 chains east of Popestreet Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    6

    Temple Hill
    [In Roman Print font]

    Temple Hill

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/3

    A wood situated 30 chains north east of Godmersham Church. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    6

    Square Wooc
    [In Roman Print font]

    Square Wooc

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/4

    A wood on the east- side of Temple Hill. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    .

    7

    School

    School

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/4

    A school for boys and girls situated 27 chains North East of Godmersham Church

    7

    Coneyearth Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Coneyearth Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/5

    A wood situated 70 chains North East by East of Godmersham Church the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq Godmersham Park

    7

    Blue Downs
    [In Roman Print font]

    Blue Downs

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/5,6

    A wood situated 26 chains east of Coneyearth Wood. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    7

    Godmersham Common

    Godmersham Common

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/4/6

    Applies to two cottages and a farmstead Situated 125 chains North East by East of Godmersham church. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park

    7

    Soakham Downs

    Soakham Downs

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/1,4

    A large tract of pasture land situate about a mile North of Boughton Aluph Church. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq Godmersham Park

    .

    9

    Godmersham Downs

    Godmersham Downs

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/2

    Applies to a portion of pasture land situated on the south side of Godmersham Park the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    9

    Church Plantation
    [In Roman Print font]

    Church Plantation

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/3

    A wood situated 5 chains South west of Godmersham church. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    9

    Great Stour

    Great Stour

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/3

    Applies to a river which rises in the parish of Lenham and flows in a South Easterly direction to Ashford, from there it takes a north easterly direction to the junction with the River Stour & Little Stour which is situated about ½ mile North of East Stourmouth.

    9

    St. Lawence's Church
    (Vicarage)
    [In Roman Print font]

    St. Lawence's Church
    (Vicarage)

    Rev. Lewis J. Elwin Vicar
    Mr E. Lawson agent Godmersham

    LV/7/3

    The mother parish church of Godmersham situated in the south west side of the village.

    .

    10

    .

    Supposed
    Pilgrims' Road

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/1,4

    [no remarks and the name is crossed out and initailled J.I.B.] [see page 12 details]

    10

    Olantigh Park
    [In italic Capitals font]

    Olantigh Park

    Francis Reid Esq., Estate Agent, Wye

    LV/7/6

    Applies to an ornamental Park situated to the North and East of Olantigh Towers & about 1 mile South West of village of Crundale. The property of the Trustees of the late W. Drax

    10

    Trimworth Manor
    [In German Text font]

    Trimworth Manor

    Mr W. K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye
    Mr W. Gibbons Occupier

    Lv/7/3

    Applies to an ancient Manor house situated 36 chains South of Godmersham Church (date of erection not known) the property of Sir Robert Marcus Filmer, East Sutton, Maidstone

    10

    Bilting Plantation
    [In Roman Print font]

    Bilting Plantation

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/2,5

    Applies to a wood situated on the West of Bilting Farm & ½ mile North of Bilting House. The property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park. Canterbury



    Names collected & entered by C. Gathergood Sapper Royal Engineers in July 1906
    Names & as altered & initialled in red by J.I. Buckland Lance Corporal Royal Engineers, August 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/Plan/Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    11

    Roman & Saxon Remains found A.D.1757

    Roman & Saxon Remains found A.D.1757

    Rev. Henry Ricketts, Vicar of Crundale
    Mr W.K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye

    LV/7/6

    Applies to the site of where Roman & Saxon remains were found in the year 1757 Situate about ½ mile North East of Olantigh Towers

    11

    Tye Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Tye Wood

    Francis Reid Esq., Estate Agent, Wye
    Mr W.K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye

    LV/7/6

    A wood situate immediately East of Oxen Lees Wood. Owners Sir Robert Marcus Filmer, East Sutton, Maidstone
    The Trustees of the late W. Drax

    11

    Bilting House

    Bilting House

    Captain W. Knight, owner & occupier, Bilting

    LV/7/5

    A residence situate about 5 chains East of The Grange. The property of the occupier Captain W. Knight

    11

    The Grange

    The Grange

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/5

    A farm house with outhouses attached situate about 40 chains South West of Bilting Plantation. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    .

    12

    Supposed
    Pilgrims' Road
    [In German text font]

    Supposed
    Pilgrims' Road

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/4

    Applies to an ancient road supposed to have run from London to Canterbury

    12

    Bilting Farm

    Bilting Farm

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/5

    A farm with outhouses attached situate about 35 chains North East of Bilting House. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham

    12

    Bilting

    Bilting

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/7/5

    Applies to a district situate on the main road between Ashford and Canterbury about 5 miles North East of Ashford.Principal owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq.

    12

    S.E.& C.R.
    Ashford, Canterbury & Ramgate branch

    S.E.& C.R.
    Ashford, Canterbury & Ramgate Branch
    Change of Name
    S.E.R.
    Ashford, canterbury & Ramsgate Branch
    (Obsolete)

    The Official List

    Lv/7/6

    Applies to a railway running from Ashford to Ramsgate for the conveyance of passengers and goods. The property of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Company.



    Names collected and entered by R. Sanderson T.C.A. In July 1906
    Names etc as altered & intialled in red by J.I. Buckland Lance Corporal Royal Engineers in August 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/Plan/Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    13

    Thornham Shaw
    [In Roman Print font]

    Thornham Shaw

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/2,5

    A wood situated 80 chains South East of Godmersham church the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esqr. Godmersham Park

    13

    Hall Cottages

    Hall Cottages

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/5

    Applies to several cottages situated 15 chains North West of Winchcombe Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    13

    Viney's Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Viney's Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/5,6

    A wood situated 15 chains South West of Winchcombe Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    13

    Crundale Downs

    Crundale Downs

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/5,6

    Applies to a small district of down land situated on the east side of Crundale Village. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    13

    Church Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Church Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/6

    A wood situated ¼ mile south of Winchcombe Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    .

    14

    Ripple Farm

    Ripple Farm

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/6

    A farm house and outbuildings situate .?. Chains South East of Godmersham Church the property of E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park, Canterbury

    14

    Purr Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Purr Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    Lv/8/....

    A wood situated .?. Chains east of Godmersham Church owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park

    14

    Great Eggerton Farm

    Great Eggerton Farm

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/.

    A farm house and outbuildings situate .?. Chains ast of Godmersham Park. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq.

    14

    Eggringe Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Eggringe Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/.

    A wood situated ½ mile East of Great Eggerton Farm. Owner E.C.Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park

    14

    Brickkiln Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Brickkiln Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    Lv/8/.

    A wood situated .?. Chains west of Little Winchcombe Owner E.C.Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    .

    15

    Little Winchcomb

    Little Winchcomb
    Change in name
    Little Winchcoombe
    Obsolete

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/6

    Applies to two cottages situated 15 chains north of Winchcombe Farm the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esqr. Godmersham Park

    15

    Winchcombe Farm

    Winchcombe Farm
    Change in name
    Winchcoombe Farm
    Obsolete

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/6

    A farm house and outbuildings situated 28 chains east of Crundale Rectory. Owner E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park

    15

    Coome Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Coome Wood

    Mr E. Lawson, agent, Godmersham

    LV/8/6

    A wood situated 25 chains east of Winchcombe Farm. Owner E.C. Lister Kay, Godmersham Park

    15

    Seaton's Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Seaton's Wood

    Mr Charles Bolton, owner, Crundale

    LV/8/5

    A wood situated ¼ mile North West of Crundale Rectory the propety of Mr Charles Bolton, Crundale.

    15

    Crundale
    [In Roman Print font]

    Crundale

    Rev. Henry Ricketts, Rector, Rectory Crundale

    LV/8/5

    Applies to a parish village situated 7 miles South West of Canterbury, comprising a church, a school, farm house, cottages etc the property of E.C. Lister Kay Esq. Godmersham Park & others

    .

    16

    Oxen Lees Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Oxen Lees Wood

    Mr W.K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye

    LV/8/4

    A wood situated 30 chains South east of Trimworth manor the property of Sir Robert Marcus Filmer, East Sutton Park

    16

    Black Edge Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Black Edge Wood

    Mr W.K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye

    LV/8/4

    A wood situated on the east side of Oxen Lees Wood. Owner Sir R. Filmer, East Sutton Park

    16

    Warren Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Warren Wood

    Mr W.K. Boys, Woodreve, Wye

    LV/8/5

    A wood situated at the south-west end of Crundale village, owner Sir R. Filmer, East Sutton Park

    16

    Rectory

    Rectory

    Rev. Henry Ricketts, Rectory, Crundale

    LV/8/5

    Applies to the official residence of the Rector of Crundale situated in the village.

    16

    School

    School

    Rev. Henry Ricketts, Rectory, Crundale

    LV/8/5

    A school for boys & girls situated in the village of Crundale.

    Volume signed off by W.H. Johnston Lieutenant Royal Engineers D.O.4 [dated] 28 February 1907

      [page created  15 June 2014]