• OS Book Index
  • Hastingleigh.com             A Genealogy Website /One Place Study                                                                                                                                Contact e-mail            


    Ordnance Survey - Name Books for Kent Parishes
    This list is for place names on OS Map Kent No. 56 South East 25 Inch Scale,
    (including parts of Elham, Elmsted, Kingston, Lyminge, Stelling and Upper Hardres.) 
    This Name Book was first compiled in 1906.
    In 1939/40 updates are noted in blue, after a revision of selected maps .


    INDEX for this Volume

    NAME

    PAGE

    .

    NAME

    PAGE

    .

    .

    .

    Atchester Wood  

    3

    Hillhouse Farm  

    20

    Revision 1939-40

    Baldock Downs  

    21

    Horsehead Farm  

    6

    Abbotswood  

    33

    Bible Christian Chapel  

    20

    Kingswood Farm  

    6

    Bladbean  

    35

    Bladbean  

    18

    Little Palmstead  

    7

    Burial Ground (Disused)  

    33

    Bladbean Farm  

    18

    Little Prim Farm  

    12

    Chapel Farm  

    31

    Boormanhatch Farm  

    14

    Lodge Wood  

    14

    Charcoal Cottage Farm  

    33

    Bower Wood  

    4

    Lynsore court  

    5

    Cherry Garden Farm  

    24

    Bossingham  

    1

    Madams Wood  

    18

    Clambercrown  

    25

    Burial Ground (Disused)  

    13

    Manns Wood  

    1

    Cottage Farm  

    23

    Butts Farm  

    11

    Mead Far  

    11

    Courtlodge Farm  

    23

    Charcoal Farm  

    19

    Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)  

    23

    Ebenezer Church (Methodist)  

    24

    Cherrygarden Farm  

    4

    Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan)  

    13

    Firtree Farm  

    33

    Church Wood  

    4

    Middle Wood  

    5

    Fryarne Farm  

    29

    Colehill Wood  

    6

    Mill Bank  

    7

    Hollytree Farm  

    30

    Collardshill Wood  

    7

    Nail Bourne  

    17

    Jacques Court  

    33

    Common  

    4

    Ngamotu  

    19

    Little Palmstead Farm  

    27

    Courthopes Corner Farm  

    14

    Peafield Wood  

    7

    Methodist Church  

    23

    Courtlodge Farm  

    1

    Prim Fam  

    12

    Methodist Church  

    29

    Covert Wood  

    9

    Quilters Wood  

    5

    Southlodge Farm  

    29

    Covet Wood  

    6

    Redoak  

    19

    S.R.[Southern Railway] Elham Valley Line  

    37

    Coxsole Farm  

    14

    Rose & Crown (P.H.)[public house]  

    11

    The Laurels  

    29

    Dane Farm  

    7

    School  

    1

    Yew Tree Farm  

    29

    Dog (P.H.) [public house]  

    5

    SE & CR [South East and Chatham Railway]
    Elham Valley Line  

    17

     

    Ebenezer Chapel (Primitive Methodist)  

    4

    Shuttles Wood  

    18

     

    Elhampark Wood  

    14

    Star (P.H.)[public house]  

    2

     

    Farthingsole Farm  

    14

    Stelling Lodge  

    20

     

    Featherly Wood  

    5

    Stelling Minnis  

    11

     

    Fryarne Park Farm  

    15

    St. Mary's Church (Per. Curacy)  

    20

     

    Fryarne Park Wood  

    12

    Souledge Farm  

    15

     

    Gammon Farm 19  

    Upper Hardres Wood  

    2

     

    Great Palmstead Farm  

    7

    Vallance Wood  

    12

     

    Hall Downs  

    17

    Wildage Farm  

    19

     

    Harbour Wood  

    6

    Wingmore  

    18

     

    Highchimney Farm  

    12

    Yewtree Farm  

    11

     





    NOTE: 1 chain =
         20.12 metres in length
    or 66 feet in length
    or 22 yards in length

    10 chains is a furlong, 80 chains is a mile,
    One acre is 10 chains x 10 chains.

    This Map "Kent No.56 S.E." was published in 1908 by the Ordnance Survey and a copy of it can be seen on the following external website link for the National Library of Scotland:

    [CLICK  HERE]

    This Map "Kent No.56 S.E." was
    re-published in c.1949 after the revisions collected in 1939/40 and a copy of it can be seen on the following external website link for the National Library of Scotland:

    [CLICK  HERE]




    Names collected and entered by C.A. Favier Sapper Royal Engineers during month of March 1906
    Altereration [in blue] April 1939 and January 11940 by J.S.

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    1

    Bossingham

    Bossingham

    James Walter Elliot Schoolmaster

    LVI/11/2,7

    Applies to small district comprising several farms, one Inn, Meth[odist] Chapel Church, & several cottages, the Property of Various owners, W. Lochee Oatmill House, Canterbury being of the Principal .

    .

    1

    Courtlodge Farm

    Courtlodge Farm

    A.Tuff Occupier

    LVI/11/2,7

    Applies to Farm dwelling, Situate on the East of Bossingham, The Property of W. Lochee, Oatmill House, Canterbury .

    See Page 23 .

    1

    School

    School

    James Walter Elliot Schoolmaster

    LVI/11/2,10

    Applies to Public Elementary School, for boys and girls under a Schoolmaster. Situate South of Bossingham about ¾ mile South West of Lynsore Court .

    1

    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)

    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)

    William Webb steward

    LVI/11/2,7

    Applies to small Public Place of Worship Situate about 20 chains North East of School. The property of the Methodist Connexion.

    See Page 23

    1

    Manns Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Manns Wood

    J. Ross Esq. Owner

    LVI/11/3,6

    Applies to large wood, Situated about ½ mile East of Bossingham. The Property of J. Ross Esq. The Limes, Hedon Nr Hull.

    No change in extent -May39

    .

    2

    Upper Hardres Wood
    [In Roman print font]

    Upper Hardres Wood

    R.G. Wood Esq. (agent) Street End, Canterbury

    LVI/11/1,4

    Applies to an extensive wood, situated about one mile South West of Gorsley Wood, The Property of J.W.B. White Esq. Street End, Canterbury .

    No change in extent -May39

    2

    Star
    (P.H.) [public house]

    Star
    (P.H.)

    Sign
    W. Cornhill, landlord

    LVI/11/2,3

    Applies to fully licensed PH [public house] accommodation for travelers. Situate at the North end of Bossingham Village. The property of Messrs Rigden, Brewers Faversham .

    .



    Names collected & entered by J.S. Weekes 2nd Corporal Royal Engineers in February 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    3

    Atchester Wood

    Atchester Wood

    Mr John Ross, owner

    56/11/6,3,1,2

    A large wood situated ½ mile South East from Bossingham, The Property of Mr John Ross, The Limes, Hedon nr Hull.

    No change in extent of wood -May39

    .

    4

    Church Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Church Wood

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/11/4,3

    A wood situated 12 chains North of Bower Wood, Owner Mr James White, Bossingham .

    no change in extent

    4

    Bower Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Bower Wood

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/11/4,10

    A wood sitauted at the North West end of Stelling Minnis. Owner Mr James White, Bossingham .

    change in extent shewn by colour band

    4

    Ebenezer Chapel
    (Prim Meth)

    Ebenezer Chapel
    (Primitive Methodists)

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/11/4

    A small place of worship situated at the North West end of Stelling Minnis, the Property of Primitive Methodist
    James Wood -trustee.

    See Page 24 .

    4

    Cherrygarden Farm

    Cherrygarden Farm

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/11/5

    A farmstead sitauted on the East, 40 chains from the North East end of Stelling Minnis. G. Parrott owner Elmsted.

    See Page 24 .

    4

    Common
    [In Roman Capitals]

    Common

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/11/4
    56/15/1,4,5

    A large track of Common land situated at Stelling Minnis. The Public having a right of Grazing thereon .

    .



    Names etc collected & entered by J. Brownew TCA in March 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    5

    Lynsore Court

    Lynsore Court

    J. Ross Esq.

    LVI/12/1,5

    A neat dwelling with farm buildings situated about a mile east of Bossingham the property of J. Ross Esq (owner & occupier) .

    .

    5

    Middle Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Middle Wood

    G. Webb Esq [land agent, Sittingbourne]

    LVI/12/1,6

    A wood situated about a mile east of Lynsore Court the property of H.L Webb Esq, Sittingbourne .

    .

    5

    Featherly Wood
    [In Riman Print font]

    Featherly Wood

    G. Webb Esq [land agent, Sittingbourne]

    LVI/12/1,7,8

    A wood situated about a mile east of Middle Wood, owner H.L. Webb Esq, [Tunstall? House] Sittingbourne .

    .

    5

    Quilters Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Quilters Wood

    G. Webb Esq [land agent, Sittingbourne]

    LVI/12/1,3

    A large wood situated on the north side of Middle Wood, owner H.L. Webb, Sittingbourne .

    .

    5

    Dog
    (P.H.)

    Dog
    (P.H.)

    Philpott, occupier
    Sign , License

    LVI/12/1

    A fully licensed house situated at the South West corner of Featherly Wood, the property of Messrs Rigden, Faversham, the house provides no accommodation for travelers.

    .See Page 25

    .

    6

    Kingswood Farm

    Kingswood Farm

    A.E. Fox, occupier

    LVI/12/2,5

    A small farmstead situated on the west side of Covet Wood, the property of H. Chalmers Esq. Nice, France .

    .

    6

    Covet Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Covet Wood

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq

    LVI/12/2,6

    A large wood situated about two mile west of Barham and 1½ miles east of Bossingham, the property of Basil Oxenden Esq. St James Club, Piccadilly .

    .

    6

    Colehill Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Colehill Wood

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq

    LVI/12/3,5
    56/16/2

    A large wood situated about a ¼ mile east of Covet Wood, owner Basil Oxenden Esq. St. James Club, Piccadilly .

    .

    6

    Horsehead Farm

    Horsehead Farm

    H. Blunt Esq

    LVI/12/3,4

    A farmstead situated on the east side of Covet Wood & South of Harbour Wood the property of Marquess Conyngham, Slane Castle, County Meath, Ireland [Victor George Henry Francis Conyngham, 5th Marquess Conyngham ] .

    .

    6

    Harbour Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Harbour Wood

    H. Blunt Esq, Patrixbourne, Canterbury

    LVI/12/3

    A wood situated on the east side of Colehill Wood, owner Marquess Conyngham, Slane Castle County Meath, Ireland
    Note: New Name .

    .

    .

    7

    Mill Bank
    [In Roman Print font]

    Mill Bank

    G. Webb Esq [land agent, Sittingbourne]

    LVI/12/4,1

    A large wood situated on the south side of Middle Wood, the property of Various owners, F.Webb Esq & J. Ross being the Principal .

    .

    7

    Great Palmstead Farm

    Great Palmstead Farm

    G. Webb Esq [land agent, Sittingbourne]

    LVI/12/4,3

    A farmstead situated about a mile east of Mill Bank, the property of H.L. Webb Esq, Sittingbourne .

    .

    7

    Little Palmstead

    Little Palmstead

    M.W. Fox occupier

    LVI/12/4

    A farmstead situated about a mile South West of Great Palmstead Farm the property of T.Bell Esq, address unknown .

    See Page 27 .

    7

    Peafield Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Peafield Wood

    G. Setterfield occupier

    LVI/12/5,13,14
    56/16/2

    A wood situated about ½ mileSouth East of Great Palmstead Farm, the property of J.E. Elgar, Crockshard, Wingham .

    .

    7

    Dane Farm

    Dane Farm

    G. Setterfield occupier

    LVI/12/5,11

    A farmstead situated about ten chains east of Peafield Wood ownr J.E. Elgar Crockshard , Wingham .

    .

    7

    Collardshill Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Collardshill Wood

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq

    LVI/12/6,12

    A large wood situated on the east side of Colehill Wood the property of Basil Oxenden Esq, St James Club, Piccadilly W.

    .

    . Page 8 not used.

    9

    Covert Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Covert Wood

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq agent Canterbury

    LVI/12/6
    56/16/2

    A large wood situated about a mile South West of Denningstone, the principal owner is Basil Oxenden, St James Club, Piccadilly. This name includes Colehill, Collardshill & Hoath Woods .

    .

    Page 10 not used

    Names collected & entered by J.S. Weekes 2nd Corporal Royal Engineers in February 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    11

    Rose & Crown
    (P.H.)

    Rose & Crown
    (P.H.)

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    LVI/15/1

    A fully licensed public house no accommodation for travelers situated at Stelling Minnis. The property of Rigden & Co. Faversham .

    .

    11

    Butts Farm

    Butts Farm

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    LVI/15/1,3

    A farmstead situated at Stelling Minnis at the North West end. The property of Miss Dopell, Ramsgate .

    .

    11

    Yewtree Farm

    Yewtree Farm

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    LVI/15/2

    A farmstead Situated about 12 chains from Stelling Minnis. The property of S.G. Sutton, Elham .

    .

    11

    Stelling Minnis

    Stelling Minnis

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    LVI/15/1,4,5

    A large scattered district of Farms and Cottages in the parish of Stelling Situated 1½ miles south from Bossingham . The property of Various owners.

    .

    11

    Mead Farm

    Mead Farm

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    LVI/15/7

    A farmstead situated at Stelling Minnis. The property of Mr Price, Court Lodge Farm, Bossingham .

    .

    .

    12

    Prim Farm

    Prim Farm

    Mr Stephen Chapman owner & occupier

    LVI/15/1,12

    A farmstead situated on the North East end of Stelling Minnis the property of Mr S. Chapman occupier .

    See Page 29 .

    12

    Little Prim Farm

    Little Prim Farm

    Mr Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey Estate agent

    LVI/15/2

    A farmstead situated 10 chains East of Prim Farm, the Property of Thomas Major
    W.Wood the occupier
    Note: New name .

    .

    12

    High Chimney Farm

    High Chimney Farm

    Mr Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey Estate agent

    LVI/15/2,3

    A farmstead situated ½ mile North East from Stelling Minnis the property of Messrs Foord-Kelcey. Occupied by Mrs Parker. .

    .

    12

    Fryarne Park Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Frayne Park Wood

    Mr Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey Estate agent

    LVI/15/3,7

    A large wood situated 1 mile East from Stelling Minnis The Property of Messrs Foord Kelcey .

    No change in extent of wood -May 39

    12

    Vallance Wood
    [In Roman Pring font]

    Vallance Wood

    Mr Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey Estate agent

    LVI/15/2,3,6

    A small wood situated 15 chains west from Fryarne Park Wood the property of Messrs Foord-Kelcey .

    .



    Names collected & entered by J.E. Luter, Sapper Royal Engineers in February 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    13

    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)

    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)
    Tablet on Church

    56/15/5

    Applies to a place of worship in Stelling Minnis the property of the Trustees .

    See Page 29 .

    13

    Burial Ground
    (Disused)

    Burial Grounds
    (Disused)

    Mr Frederick Woollett (overseer)

    56/15/5,14

    Applies to a Non-Conformist disused burial ground situated in the south east end of Stelling Minnis .

    .

    .

    14

    Coxsole Farm

    Coxsole Farm

    Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey (agent) Lyminge, Hythe

    56/15/5,6

    Applies to a small dwelling house with outbuildings attached situated about 25 chains South West of Lodge Wood. The property of Foord Finn Kelcey Esq. Lyminge .

    .

    14

    Boormanhatch Farm

    Boormanhatch Farm

    Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey (agent) Lyminge, Hythe

    56/15/5,7

    Applies to a small dwelling house with outbuildings attached . Situated 13 chains South East of Coxsole Farm owner Foord Finn Kelcey Esq, Lyminge .

    .

    14

    Lodge Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Lodge Wood

    Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey (agent) Lyminge, Hythe

    56/15/6,1

    Applies to a small wood situated near Fryarne Farm owner Foord Finn Kelcey .

    .

    14

    Courthorpes Corner Farm

    Courthopes Corner Farm

    Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey (agent) Lyminge, Hythe

    56/15/5,9

    Applies to a dwelling house with outbuildings attached situated about ½ a mile South East of the Rose & Crown (PH) owner Foord Finn Kelcey .

    .

    14

    Elhampark Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Elhampark Wood

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq (agent)

    56/15/5,6
    56/16/4

    Applies to a large enclosure of wood situated ½ a mile East of Boormanhatch Farm The Property of Basil Oxenden Esq. Broom Park, Barham .

    The Forestry Commission

    14

    Farthingsole Farm

    Farthingsole Farm

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq

    56/15/6,7

    Applies to a small dwelling house with outbuildings attached situated on the North West of Elham Park Wood owner Basil Oxenden Esq, Broom Park Barham .

    .


    Page 15 not used
    Names collected & entered by J.S. Weekes 2nd Corporal Royal Engineers in February 1906

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/Plan/Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    16

    Fryarne Park Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Fryarne Park Wood

    Mr Hubert F. Finn-Kelcey Estate agent

    LVI/14/3

    A farmstead situated ¾ mile east from Stelling Minnis The property of Messrs Foord Kelcey.

    .See page 29

    16

    Souledge Farm

    Souledge Farm 

    Rev. Frederic Mann, Vicar [of Temple Ewell]

    LVI/18/3

    A Glebe farm situated on the east side of Fryarne Park Wood, Part of the benefice of Temple Ewell Vicarage, Dover Kent.

    See page 29 .



    Names collected & entered by W.H. Thomas - Feby 1906
    Names as altered & initialled in red by A.J.Smith Corporal Royal Engineers in April 1906
    Names revised in July 1940

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    17

    Hall Downs

    Hall Downs

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean

    56/16/6,16

    Applies to a tract of Down land Situated about 20 chains South East of Wingmore, owner S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean & Others .

    .

    17

    Nail Bourne

    Nail Bourne
    Change of Name
    Little Stour
    Obsolete

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean Rev. J Alcock, Rector of Barham R. Tanner Esq Bishopsbourne

    56/16/6,8

    Applies to a stream situated on the West Side of the S.E.& C. Railway, it rises in Etchinghill, in the Parish of Lyminge & flows through Elham, Barham, Bridge & Beakesbroune and joins the Little Stour ½ a mile South East of Howletts Littlebourne, Sheets 57.5.6 & 66 and is known throughout by the name Nail Bourne. This water course is usually dry.

    .

    17

    S.E. & C.R.
    Elham Valley Railway
    [In Egyptian Captials]

    South Eastern
    and
    Chatham Railway
    (Elham Valley Line)
    Change of form
    See page 37
    S.E.R.
    Elham Valley Railway
    Obsolete

    The Official list of Railways

    56/16/6,14

    Applies to a double line of railway extending from Canterbury to Cheriton junction near Shorncliffe the joint property of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Companies .

    See Page 37 .

    .

    18

    Madams Wood
    [In Roman Print font]

    Madams Wood

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean

    56/16/4,6

    Applies to an enclosure of wood situated 10 chains East of Wildage Farm, the property of J.P. Pidson Esq Sittingbourne .

    The Forestry Commission
    Change of extent shewn by colour band

    18

    Shuttles Wood

    Shuttles Wood

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean

    56/16/4,4

    Applies to an encosure of wood situated 10 chains East of Madam Wood, owner J.P. Pidson Esq Sittingbourne .

    .

    18

    Bladbean

    Bladbean

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean principal owner
    Egbert Rawe, Elham

    56/16/5

    Applies to a small district situates in the North West corner of Elham Parish the property of several owners, the principal being Mr S.A. Mortimer Bladbean Farm . [crossed out and replaced with] Jacques Court.

    .

    18

    Bladbean Farm

    Bladbean Farm

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean

    56/16/5

    Applies to a dwelling house with farm buildings attached & situated 20 chains South East of Shuttle Wood, the property of the occupier Mr S.A. Mortimer who obtaind the property from the Executors of the late W. Slains Esq .

    .

    18

    Wingmore

    Wingmore

    Mr S.A. Mortimer, Bladbean Farm, Bladbean

    56/16/6

    Applies to a small district situated on the railway about 70 chains East of Bladbean Farm, the property of various owners one of the principal being Captain Ball?? Bishopsbourne .

    .



    Names collected and enetered by CA Favier Sapper Royal Engineers during Month of March 1906
    Names revised July 1939

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    19

    Wildage Farm

    Wildage Farm

    R.W. Wood Esq agent, Harmansole Farm Street
    J. Keeler Esq. Occupier

    LVI/16/1,14

    Applies to small farm dwelling. Situate about 5 chains North of Madam Wood. The Property of J.W. B. White Esq, Street End, Canterbury, formerly the property of Baker White .

    .

    19

    Ngamotu

    Ngamotu

    H.J. Enever Esq. Owner

    LVI/16/1,4

    Applies to modern farm dwelling, Situate about one mile West of Redoak The Property of E.J. Enever Esq, occupier .

    See Page 33 .

    19

    Gammon Farm

    Gammon Farm

    Dr. G.M. Pittock owner

    LVI/16/2,5

    Applies to small farm dwelling Situate about 15 chains South East of Ngamotu, The Property of Dr. G.M. Pittock Whitstable Road nr Canterbury .

    See Page 33 .

    19

    Charcoal Farm

    Charcoal Farm

    E.S. Miles Esq owner

    LVI/16/2,7

    Applies to small farm dwelling situate about 30 chains East of Gammon Farm The Property of E.S. Miles occupier
    Note: New Name .

    [Gammon Farm is now] Fir Tree Farm

    19

    Redoak

    Redoak

    E. File Esq. Owner

    LVI/16/3,4

    Applies to small farm dwelling Situate about 35 chins North East of Hillhouse Farm. The Property of E.File Esq. occupier .

    .



    Names revised June 1939

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    20

    Hillhouse Farm

    Hillhouse Farm

    E. Keeler Esq. Occupier

    LVI/16/3,14

    Applies to farm dwelling, Situate about one mile East of Wildage Farm, The property of Matt Quested, Parkgate Farm, Elham .

    .

    20

    Bible Christian Chapel

    Bible Christian Chapel
    Obsolete

    E. File Esq caretaker

    LVI/16/3.

    Applies to a small public place of Worship situat about 6 chains North West of Hillhouse Farm, The Property of the Trustees

    Now a dwelling house owned by Abnett, Canterbury Road, Folkestone ..

    20

    Stelling Lodge

    Stelling Lodge

    J. Woollett occupier

    LVI/11/1,7

    Applies to Farm dwelling. Situate about 20 chains North of St. Mary's Church. The Property of J.E. Reed Esq High Halstow nr Rochester .

    .

    20

    .

    Stelling
    Omit; no village

    James Walter Elliot Schoolmaster

    LVI/11/1,10

    Applies to small district comprising one farm, Parish Church and one or two cottages & a Public Elementary School, The property of Various owners. One being J.E. Reed Esq. High Halstow nr Rochester .

    .

    20

    St. Mary's Church
    (Per.Curacy)
    [In Roman Print font]

    St. Mary's Church
    (Per.Curacy)  [Perpetual Curacy]

    James Walter Elliot Schoolmaster

    LVI/11/1,10

    Applies to the mother parish church of Stelling, Public place of Worship. Situate about ½ mile West of the School. The property of the Ecclesiastical Commission, 9 Whitehall place London
    The living is held by the Rector of Upper Hardres Parish .

    .



    Names collected & entered by A.J. Smith Corporal Royal Engineers in May 1906
    Names revised July 1939

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    21

    Baldock Downs

    Baldock Downs

    Cecil E. Kingsford Esq. Watling Street, Canterbury

    LVI/16/3,6, 16

    Applies to Downs, nearly surrounded by woods, situated about ¼ mile north of Wingmore, The Property of B. Oxenden Esq. Broome Canterbury .

    .


    Volume signed off by W.H. Johnston Lieutenant Royal Engineers D.O.H. [dated] 21 September 1906


    Page 22 not used
    April 1939 by D.Douglas T.C.A. [Civilain Assistant]
    Names altered and initialled in red by J. Sutherland T.C.A Jane 1940

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    23

    Methodist Church

    Methodist Church
    (Change of name)
    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)
    Obsolete

    Edwin White
    (Trustee) Oahgate Bungalow, Bossingham

    56/11/2,7

    Situated 5 chains South of Court Lodge Farm the property of The Methodist Connexion Trustees .

    .

    23

    Court Lodge Farm
    See page 1

    Court Lodge Farm
    (Change of Name)Courtlodge Farm
    (Obsolete)

    Lady Tomlin of Ash
    (owner)
    Manor House, Upper Hardres

    56/11/2,7

    Situate 11 chains South East of the Star (P.H.) .

    .

    23

    Cottage Farm

    Cottage Farm

    Name on Gate
    Lady Tomlin of Ash

    56/11/2,8

    Situated 2 chains East of Methodist Chuch .

    .

    23

    Grave Yard
    (Adopted)
    Descriptive

    Burial Ground

    A.J. Morris (Canon)

    56/11/1,10,11

    Situated 2 chains North of St. Mary's Church (Per Curacy) The ground is the property of the afore mentioned church.

    .

    .

    24

    Ebenezer Church
    (Methodist)

    Ebenezer Church
    (Methodist)
    (Change of Name)
    Ebenezer Chapel
    (Prim. Meth)
    (Obsolete)

    James Wood (Trustee) Gazlees Farm, Stelling

    56/11/4,7

    Situated at the South East Corner of Church Wood, the property of the Methodist Church [crossed out and replaced with] Trustees .

    .

    24

    Cherrygarden Farm
    see page 4

    Cherry Garden Farm
    (Change of Name)
    Cherrygarden Farm
    (Obsolete)

    Philip Hoare (Occupier) Name on Gate

    56/11/5,4

    Situated 16 chains North West of Highchimney Farm. The property of W. Davidson. Gordon House, Stelling.

    .



    Names collected & entered in by H.B.M. Connell T.C.A February 1939

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    25

    Clambercrown

    Clambercrown
    (Change of name)
    Dog (P.H.)
    (obsolete)

    F.W. Holley (Owner & occupier)

    LVI/12/1,15

    Now a dwelling house situated 21 chains South East of Lynsore Court .

    .


    Page 26 not used
    Names collected & entered in by G.A. Robertson T.C.A February 1939

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    27

    Little Palmstead Farm

    Little Palmstead Farm
    (Change of Name)
    Little Palmstead
    (Obsolete)

    Mr B. Savage
    (Owner and occupier)

    56/12/7,9

    A farmstead situated 25 chains South West of Great Palmstead Farm .

    .

    . Page 28 not used

    29

    Methodist Church

    Methodist Church
    (Change of Name)
    Methodist Chapel
    (Wesleyan)
    (Obsolete)

    D.R. Evans (Minister), The Manse, Lyminge

    56/13/3

    Situated 14 chains North East of Coxsole Far, The property of the Trustees .

    .

    29

    Fryarne Farm

    Fryarne Farm
    (Change of name)
    Fryarne Park Farm
    (Obolete)

    G. Cornish (owner & occupier)

    56/18/3

    A farmstead situated 31 chains North East of Boormanhatch Farm, the property of Mr G. Cornish .

    .

    29

    The Laurels

    The Laurels
    (Change of Name)
    Little Prim Farm
    (Obsolete)

    C.W. Burrows (occupier)

    56/15/2

    A farmstead situated 10 chains East North East of Prim Farm the property of Mr. Fox of Coxsole  Farm, Stelling .

    .

    29

    Yewtree Farm
    See page 11

    Yew Tree Farm
    (Change of Name)
    Yewtree Farm
    (Obsolete)

    P.W. Judges (owner) & occupier
    Leo Sully Esq.

    56/18/8

    A farmstead situated 12 chains East of Stelling Minnis the property of P.W.Judges Esq. The owner is at present resident there . Situated 25 chains North East of Prim Farm .

    .

    29

    South Lodge Farm

    South Lodge Farm
    (Change of Name)
    Southlodge Farm
    (Obsolete)

    M.B. Francis (occupier) Southlodge Farm

    56/18/3

    A farmstead siruated 32 chains North of Farthingsole Farm, the property of Mrs Knight, The Midland Hotel, Burton on Trent .

    .



    Names collected and entered in May 1939 by D. Douglas TCA

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    30

    Holly Tree Farm

    Holly Tree Farm

    G. Plaskitt (owner & occupier)

    56/15/1,3

    Situated 3 chains north east of Mead Farm. .

    .



    Names collected and entered in July 1939 by J.R. Mitchell TCA

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace, Square

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    31

    Chapel Farm

    Chapel Farm

    W.C.Pilcher Esq. (owner & occupier)

    56/15/4,4

    Situated 5 chains North West of Methodist Church .

    .

    . Page 32 not used

    33

    Charcoal Cottage Farm

    Charcoal Cottage Farm

    Charles Elliott (owner & occupier)

    56/16/2,11

    Situated 5 chains South West of Charcoal Farm .

    .

    33

    Jacques Court

    Jacques Court
    (Change of Name)
    Bladbean Farm
    (Obsolete)

    L.R.Purr (owner & occupier)
    Name on Huse

    56/16/5,10

    Consisting of a dwelling house with farm buildings attached situated 20 chains South East of Shuttles Wood .

    .

    33

    Abbotswood

    Abbotswood
    (Change of Name)
    Ngamotu
    (Obsolete)

    H.S. Stevens (owner & occupier)
    Name on gate

    56/16/1,4

    A modern farm dwelling situated about 35 chains North East of Wildage Farm. The property of H.S. Stevens Esq. The occupier . Now used for the breeding of Basenji dogs .

    .

    33

    Fir Tree Farm

    Fir Tree Farm
    (Change of Name)
    Gammon Farm

    A.R. Tozer owner & occupier

    56/16/2,5

    A renovated farm dwelling used as a model farm and week-end dwelling. Situate about 13 chains South East of Abbotswood. The property of the occupier A.R. Tozer Esq. .

    .


    Page 34 not used
    Names collected and entered in June 1939 by A. McKay TCA
    Names as altered in red by G. Sutherland Jan 1940

    PAGE

    List of Names as written on the Plan

    Various modes of Spelling the same Names

    Authority for those modes of Spelling

    Situation
    Sheet/ Plan/ Trace

    Descriptive Remarks

    1939-40 Updates

    35

    Bladbean

    Bladbean

    Egbert Rawe (owner & occupier)

    56/16/3

    a farmhouse situated 2 chains North West of Hillhouse Farm .

    .

    . Page 36 not used

    37

    S.R.
    Elham Valley Line

    S.R.
    Elham Valley Line
    (Change of Name)
    S. E. & C.R.
    Elham Valley Line
    (obsolete)

    Chief Engineer, Waterloo Station London  SE1.
    See Railway List

    56/16/6

    a branch line for goods and passenger traffic running between Harbledown Junction and Cheriton Junction .

    .



      [page created  20 June 2014]