Hastingleigh.com A Genealogy Website /One Place Study Contact e-mail
Hastingleigh Church Yard:
(Move down page for maps of the churchyard)
The following picture shows roughly the size of the original churchyard, which was then extended in 1898 with a donation of
of land from St. Thomas' Hospital, which owned and leased most of the land in Hastingleigh Parish. The addition was noted on
conveyance form as being about 15 perches in size. [1 perch is about 5 metres, resulting in about 75 Sq metres extra land.]
It had been part of the Court Lodge Farm estate. The land was consecrated on 30 June 1899 by the then Bishop of Dover, and
witnessed by Rev. G Howard wright, Vicar of Chilham, Rev. Frank Timins the Rector of Hastingleigh, and the two churchwardens
of Hastingleigh that year, George Tappenden and Stoddard Fagg.
This area is coloured green in the picture. In the actual cemetery, there is a dip in the ground level which clearly indicates the
start of the 1st extension area.
On 12th January 1945, a further extention of the cemetery was made possible by the benevolence of Mrs Joanna Ruth Forge. She donated
a further section of Court Lodge lands, which extended the cemetery back a further 9 feet, and neatened off the south corner,
coloured pink on the picture. The consecration of this land took place on 29 April 1945, witnessed by Rev. Arthur J Stevens, Rector
of Hastingleigh, George P Tappenden and Edward (Ted) Clark, churchwardens, and ML Ashton, secretary of the Parochial Church Council.
The Forge family graves are all located in this cemetery extension area.
The picture beneath shows the 4 sections used for the graves and memorials plans.
East of Church Map.
Map of the Eastern end of the Churchyard, mainly in the dip at the rear of the church. These are the 1898 and 1945
extensions to the cemetery plus the 3 memorial stones immediately below the large east window of the church and
close to the east wall. All the burials in this part of the cemetery are post 1898.
The list in the panel to the right of the map, lists the main surname on the gravestone.
FS = foot stone, HS = head stone,
045-Weekes 046-Weekes HS 047-Weekes FS 048a- Hayward, Potts and Young 048b-Tappenden 049-Tappenden 050-Tappenden 051-Tappenden 053-Codman 055-Croft 056-Sankey 057-Taylor 058-Mills 060-Hukins 061-Young 062-Peberdy 063-Clark 064-Chapman 065-Graham 066-Graham 067-Lowden 068a-Bliss Forge 068b-Forge 069a-Forge 069b-Burgess 070-Graham 071-Ryan 072-Graham 073-Weller 074-Lloyd 075-Leonard FS 076-Leonard HS 077-Dive 078-Green 079-Sewell 080-Else 081-Marsh 082-Page 083-Tappenden 084-UNKNOWN 085-Else 086-Helmer 087-Gorell-Barnes 088a-Marsh 088b-Pullen 089-Mills 093-Jackson (flat stone) 094-Thomas (flat stone) 095-Wade (flat stone) 156-Butler 162-Klatzko 163-Bracher 168-Bartlett, GF HH 169-Bartlett, EFE 170-Bartlett, GS
The list below, gives the surnames buried in the corresponding plot noted in the picture above.
No markers unless otherwise stated.
N001-Prebble R001-Saxey T001-Smith W001-Mills X001-Croucher N002-Neame R002-Kite T002-Stoker W002-unknown X002-Curd N003-Ashton R003-Amos T003-Brett W003- Hayward now with HS 048a X003-Taylor N004-Begent R004-Ewell T004-Brett W004-Begent X004-Taylor N005-Begent R005-Croft T005-Barrett W005-Begent X005-Smith N006-Hopkins R006-Codman T006-Blackford W006-Begent X006-Curd N007-Wood R007-Bartlett See new HS 171 T007-Ransley W007-Begent X007-Mills N008-Langford R008-Tappenden T008-Ransley W008-Young X008-Croucher N009-Kerr R009-Hukins T009-Hart W009-Young X009-Croucher N010-Marsh R010-Saga T010-Hart W010-Young X010-Croucher N011-Bartlett New HS 169 R011-Saga T011-Pilcher W011-Amos X012-Gutridge N012-Coates R012-Unknown T012-Pilcher W011-Hoar X013-Browning N013-Bartlett New HS 168 T013-Page W012-Bishop X014-Smith N014-Martin T014-Wood W013-Langford X015-Mills N015-Luck T015-Wood W014-Pilcher X016-Hooker . W015-Pilcher X017-Cook P001-Pilcher W016-Ainsley X018-Cook P002-Unknown W017-Ainsley X019-Dodd W018-Philpott X020-Hogben W019-Gibbs X021-Hogben X022-Hayward X023-Philpott X024-Philpott X025-Pilcher X026-Hayward X027-Burchett
South of Church Map
Map of the South side of the Churchyard, to the right of the footpath, from the lych gate to the church. It contains
a mixture of older and very recent gravestones. The apparent gap in the middle of the southern side was once a
home of a giant and ancient yew tree, reputedy with a 7ft diametre trunk, which was toppled in the great storm of 1987. A replacement yew tree has
been planted there and is thriving. There also once existed a pathway to a door on the south wall of the church which is now blocked up.
020-Breeze 034-Scott 099-Tappenden 113-Cook 021-Findlay 035-Hawke 100-Tappenden 114-Stickels 022-Langford 036-Possnicker 101-Tappenden 115-Kingsland 023-Gooderham 037-Jerom 102-Tappenden 116-Birchett 024-Bacon 038-Russell 103-Tappenden 117-Stickels 025-Brook 039-Russell 104-Chadbourn 118-Venables (flat stone) 026-Kelly 040-Homer 105-Chadbourn 119-Soar (flat stone) 027-File 041-Smith 106-Rooke 120a-Stickels 028-Stickels 042-Hooper 107-Newport 120b-Stickels 029-Draper 043-Wyborn 108-Sankey 121-Stickels 030-Hodgson 044-Mills 109-Sankey 122-Stickles 031-Jessel 096-Kirby/Hance (see 154) 110-Sankey 153-Kirby (see 097) 032-Wood 097-Kirby/Hance (see 153) 111-Sankey 154-Kirby (see 096) 033-Mugford 098-Kirby FS 112-Marshall 155-Wetherley-Mein (tree plaque) NB: This tree toppled in 2014.
Cremation Memorials 171-Voigt -Flat Stone 172-Nancollas -Flat Stone
North of Church Map.
Map of the North side of the Churchyard, to the left of the footpath, from the Lychgate to the church. It contains
the oldest gravestones outside of the church building. There are at least two stones under the Holly tree next to
the front fence, but it has not been possible to identify them at this stage. Many of the stones on the North side
are particularly fragile and flakey, considerable damage has occured in the past 10 years, comparing photographs
taken a decade ago with those taken last year 2009. One of the Leggett family grave stones No.003 was repositioned last
year to be laid flat over a gaping hole in to an unidentified brick lined tomb. The roof of which had collapsed when
a tree growing above it died and the root system rotted. This vault is still a hazard as animals have burrowed in to
the vault, making the surface fragile. Please do not walk near this grave stone. The ground is very likely to give way soon.
001-Prideaux 126-Holme 134-Swaine 142-Manuell 165-Unknown FS 002-Prideaux 127-Harvey 135-Glover 143-Cook 166-Unknown FS 003-Leggett 128-Cook, Marshall and Camp (FS) 136-Swaine 144-Browning 167-Unknown FS 018-Marshall FS for 147 HS) 129-Swaine 137-Brooker 145-Browning 019-Marshall FS for 147 HS) 130-Swaine 138-Kidder 146-Browning 123-Leggett/Pilcher 131-Swaine 139-Kidder 147-Marshall HS (see 018 and 019) 124-Leggett 132-Swaine 140-Hawkins 148-Swaine 125-Stickels 133-Swaine 141-Kidder .
[page updated Nov 2017]